Introduction to Hydroponics & Indoor Farming Class
Classes New York
Learn how to design and construct your a home hydroponics system which will allow you to grow herbs, greens, fruit and flowers indoors within a controlled environment under artificial light.
This introduction to the high-tech world of indoor growing will open your eyes to the possibilities of year-round, pesticide-free, high-quality, high-yield agriculture suitable for any size.
In this class, you will be given hands-on instruction under the guidance of our experienced horticulturalists and plant scientists for crafting your own growing setup and be able to produce delicious food from seed to harvest.
The experience begins upon arrival to 77 Worth Street, a historical building dating back to 1865. The first thing you may notice is you're about to enter Atera, a prestigious 2 Michelin-star restaurant. Tempting as dinner may be, you'll proceed downstairs to the labyrinthine basement and perhaps catch a glimpse of renowned celebrity Chef Ronny Emborg prepping his kitchen for the evenings service. Further down this hallway you'll find Farm.One. Since this space houses both an operational farm production facility and an operational fine-dining restaurant,
please do not arrive more than 5 minutes early and please do not loiter in the hallway.
First your instructor will give you an overview on the history of Farm.One, followed by a brief summary of the technology we utilize and the philosophy behind it. Following this, you'll enter the grow room where the hands-on classroom begins. Each guest will get the chance to taste dozens of rare herbs, microgreens and edible flowers
, accompanied by expert commentary and a more detailed look at the specific components from which the farm is constructed, and interactive instruction utilizing actual production plants and equipment.
During this 3-hour lesson, you'll learn about:
1. PRINCIPLES OF HYDROPONICS
- What is hydroponics? How does it work?
- Why is it so efficient?
- The easiest and most appropriate crops to grow
- Principles of indoor artificial lighting
- Growing herbs versus fruit and flowers
- Challenges of hydroponic systems
2. HYDROPONIC SYSTEMS
- Different types of hydroponic systems, their pros and cons
- The best lighting systems and which to choose
- Simple ways to start at home
- Overview of commercial systems
3. CLIMATE & NUTRIENTS FOR YOUR CROPS
- Managing nutrients
- Spotting and fixing unhealthy plants
- What climates work best for herbs and greens
- How to simply manage climate
- More sophisticated climate control & CO2
4. GROW AND MANAGE FROM SEED TO HARVEST
- The basics of planting and germinating with hands-on instruction
- Growing mediums
- Techniques to improve germination rates
- Transplanting into the main system
- Growing from cuttings
5. AVOID PESTS WITHOUT PESTICIDES
- Techniques to keep your farm pest-free
- What to do if you do get pests
6. PRUNE & HARVEST FOR THE BEST YIELD
- The basics with hands-on instruction
- Specific techniques for popular crops
- Lifecycle and stages of growth